Statement of Faith and Practice
The following are the basic elements of our faith and practice.
- We believe in one God who is three personalities: God the Father, Jesus Christ the unique Son of God, (born of God through a virgin named Mary – Luke 1:26-35) and the Holy Spirit who indwells the followers of Christ. (John 14:7-10 // John 16:7-15 // Matthew 28:19,20)
- The Bible is the inspired and authoritative word of God. (2 Timothy 3:16)
- The universe and all that is in it was spoken into existence by the creative power of God. (Genesis 1:1)
- Human life begins at conception. God creates each person as either male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God. (Genesis 1:26,27)
- Marriage and family are the foundation of human civilization. Marriage is the lifelong union of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive pairing as ordained and described by God. (Genesis 2:18-25)
- Every person has worth as a creation of God, but everyone sins and falls short of God’s created intention. (Psalm 139:13,14 // Romans 3:23)
- Jesus Christ is the one and only Son of God who died sacrificially for the sins of mankind and came back to life on the third day after his death on a cross. (1 Corinthians 15:1-8 // John 3:16)
- Through belief in Christ and submission to Him, we receive forgiveness of our sins and a restored relationship with God. (John 14:6)
- Those desiring to follow Jesus must ask God to forgive their sins; they must confess their belief in Jesus and be baptized in His name. (Romans 10:9-10 // Acts 2:38)
- Water baptism is a physical act of identification with Christ by those who are mature enough to express their faith. The mode of baptism taught and practiced by the Apostles is immersion. (Romans 6:1-4)
- As a person returns to God through faith in Christ, the Holy Spirit of God enters his/her life, making possible a new way of living. (John 3:5-8 // Romans 8:10-11)
- The Church (the world-wide community of all followers of Christ) is the embodiment of Christ on earth. Christ-followers are empowered by God’s Spirit to represent Him and to invite others to follow Him. (Matthew 28:19-20 // Matthew 16:17-19)
- The local Church does not answer to any centralized hierarchy, but is led by a group of men from within who meet criteria defined in scripture. (1 Timothy 3:1-7)
- Jesus Christ will one day return to earth. He will reward those who have followed him, and He will punish those who have rejected Him. (John 5:28-29 // 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18)
Parkside Christian Church’s Vision:
To be people helping each other pursue God’s purpose every day.
Parkside Christian Church’s Mission:
We exist to love God, love people, and help others do the same.
Our vision and mission will be guided by these values.
We will be Biblical
God’s Word is a light for our path and a lamp for our feet. God has revealed His mind and His will to us most explicitly in his Word. We will live in harmony with His revealed truth. (II Timothy 3:16,17)
We will be Authentic
We will remain true to the life example and life priorities of Jesus Christ. (I Timothy 4:12)
We will be Missional
Our ministries and efforts will focus on putting us in contact with those who don’t yet know Jesus Christ in a personal way. (II Corinthians 5:20)
We will be Relational
The gathering of those who follow Christ is often described in the Bible as a “body” with each part caring for the other. (I Corinthians 12) We will function as an interdependent body.
We will be Intentional
All that we do will be directed by our stated vision, mission and values. (I Corinthians 9:24-26)
We will be Selfless
Jesus said, “I did not come to be served, but to serve.” (Mark 10:45) We will lay aside our personal desires and keep our focus on serving God and others.
That is the quick picture of the Vision, Mission and Values of the people of Parkside. We invite you to find and fill your role in helping us be the church that Jesus Christ desires.